- What is 3G Sunset?
3G Sunset refers to the shutting down of 3G networks of Mobile Operators and the discontinuation of all its 3G related services, i.e., voice, SMS and data services that are carried over the 3G network.
- Why is the 3G network shutting down?
3G sunset is one of the initiatives identified under the Jalinan Digital Negara (JENDELA) programme that aims to migrate existing spectrums to 4G technology to further improve wireless speeds for all Malaysians.
- Is redONE the only service provider affected by 3G Sunset or is it affecting other service providers in Malaysia as well?
All service providers in Malaysia will be shutting down their 3G networks by 31st December 2021.
- When is the 3G Network shutting down?
The 3G network will shut down in phases throughout 2021 and it is targeted to be completed by 31st December 2021. At the same time, the industry is improving and expanding the 4G network to provide wider coverage and higher data speeds.
- Which locations will be affected?
3G Sunset sites are located across all regions nationwide and as such, it will be done in phases. You will receive prior notification before the 3G network in your area is shutting down.
- Are 2G networks also shutting down?
There are no plans to shut down the 2G network. 2G services such as voice and SMS will be available as usual.
How will the 3G Sunset initiative affect me as a mobile consumer?
- How do I know if I am a 3G network user?
You are a 3G user if you’re using a 3G device or if your phone is only capable of connecting onto the 3G networks despite using a 4G device. You can also find out by checking your supported network or your device’s network indicator icon.
- What will I experience if I fail to prepare for the 3G Sunset by upgrading to a 4G SIM card and 4G device?
Data service will be disrupted, voice quality may be affected. You will not be able to enjoy the best experience of 4G network which provides higher data speed and excellent mobile experience.
- Why am I often connected onto 3G networks when I am already using a 4G device?
This could be due to weak 4G coverage in your area. Don’t worry, your area should be covered under the JENDELA program intended to improve nationwide mobile coverage.
- If I am on a 3G device, do I need to buy a new device?
Yes, you are required to upgrade to a 4G device. For more info on the latest and attractive device offerings, visit our online store at redmall.redONE.com.my or walk-in to your nearest redONE outlet.
- Is it compulsory for me to change my current SIM Card?
If you are currently using a 4G device but can only access 3G networks most of the time, then it is very likely you are using an older (3G) SIM card. You may walk-in to the nearest redONE outlet to upgrade your SIM card. (RM10 will apply for new sim replacement)
- Are there any special deals on plans or devices that redONE is offering to help me to switch to 4G?
Check out our latest devices and offer on our website redmall.redONE.com.my that can help you access faster and better connectivity by using a 4G device.
- What will happen to my current plan or package? Will it be changed if I purchase a 4G device?
No. Your plan will not be changed unless you subscribe to our device bundle plans.
- Will 3G sunset affect my bill or incur any higher charges?
Your bill amount will remain based on your current subscription.
- How will redONE notify me of the exact time of the 3G phase-out in my area?
The 3G Sunset initiative is scheduled for implementation by phases across Malaysia throughout 2021. We will notify affected customers via SMS and publish information on the area and date for 3G sunset on our redONE website / social media.
- When is the 3G sunset expected to be fully completed?
3G Sunset is expected to be done by phases across Malaysia and will be completed by 31st December 2021.
- If I do not wish to upgrade my device or upgrade my SIM card, would I be able to continue using 2G instead?
Yes, you can continue to use 2G services such as voice and SMS. However, your data experience will be significantly affected as 2G data speeds are low.
- How could I get in touch with redONE for more information or queries?
For further clarification, you may reach us on our Live Chat or message us on redONE WhatsApp at 011 5500 1909 or call our redONE Careline at 1909 (from redONE Number) / 1300 11 0088 (from non-redONE number), daily from 9am – 9pm.
- If I do not wish to upgrade or switch to 4G upon 3G sunset, what will happen to my current contract/plan?
Your current contract and plan will remain the same. However, you will experience a drop in the quality of data service as you will only be able to use services on the 2G network.
- Will there be any service disruption during and post 3G sunset?
3G sunset will be seamless for all customers as long as both your device and SIM card are 4G capable.
- If I switch to a 4G device with 4G network, what could I expect as compared to 3G network?
You will enjoy better network coverage and higher data speeds once you have switched to redONE 4G network with a 4G device.
How the 3G Sunset will affect redONE corporate clients?
- Will the implementation of 3G Sunset affect only redONE related services/devices?
No. 3G sunset is one of the initiatives identified under the Jalinan Digital Negara (JENDELA) programme and all service providers will be shutting down their 3G network by 31st December 2021.
- What are the services affected by the implementation and what does the 3G discontinuation mean to my business?
All related services that are currently running on or carried by the 3G network (i.e., voice, SMS and data services) will be affected.
- Is there a requirement for equipment change? If there are any, will the cost be incurred by my Company or redONE?
Any charges for equipment change purposes will be incurred by respective enterprises/corporations. As per standard M2M practice, redONE only provides connectivity services.
- Will 4G connectivity bring any significant changes to my business or operations? How and what kind of changes will I experience?
You will enjoy better network coverage and higher data speeds once you have switched to 4G network with 4G capable devices.
- How will redONE notify and help me with the implementation of 3G Sunset?
We will engage with the respective corporate clients via emails and our support team.
- When will 3G sunset be implemented? And how will I be informed to prevent any disruption to my business operations?
Your redONE Business Account Manager will inform you of the 3G sunset phases throughout 2021.
- When will 3G sunset be fully completed?
3G Sunset will be done by phases across Malaysia and will be completed by 31st December 2021
- Will there be any service disruption during 3G sunset that will interfere with my business operations?
3G sunset will be seamless for all customers as long as both your device and SIM card are 4G capable
- Is there any other option for me as a business owner if I do not wish to migrate to 4G network? (Propose this if 2G fallback is required for clients that can still run on 2G)
If you do not opt to migrate to the redONE 4G network, then the only available alternative network will be the redONE 2G network.
- Can I use my existing M2M SIM to subscribe M2M 4G LTE?
LTE is supported for 3G USIM only. For MCS, all 3G is USIM. If you are subscribing to another type of SIM, you will not be able to subscribe to LTE. We advise you to arrange for SIM upgrade and subscribe to M2M 4G LTE. However, for customers that are subscribed to 2G SIM and wish to upgrade to LTE, they are required to replace their 2G SIM to USIM.
- How do I subscribe to Machine to Machine (M2M) 4G LTE?
You can subscribe to our M2M services through our direct sales team or our sales partners.
- What are the charges for subscribing M2M 4G LTE?
The charges follow the redONE registration payment collection policy.
- What happens if I have added-on M2M 4G LTE but I’m using a non-compliant 4G LTE device?
You can choose to use the non-compliant 4G LTE device, but it will operate at 2G speeds depending on the area.